I love to sew, mainly quilts and bags. I am 66, married to Fred and have one son, Matthew, who is 27. I enjoy embroidery and applique and prefer to machine piece and quilt my projects. I love my vintage Singer sewing machines especially my Featherweight 222K. I’m enjoying treadling on my 201K Singer and I collect Miniature Sewing Machines and currently have three Essex , one Singer 20, one Singer 40, two Vulcan Miniatures and my latest, a Grain. My love of sewing I believe comes from my Grandmother - I still have the drawings she made for me to embroider on tea towels many many years ago!

Monday 3 October 2011

BABY TWIST

Close up of the "twist block"

Baby size "Hey Diddle Diddle" floor quilt
I was asked by a friend if I would make two baby quilts for her.  Usually I decline, as I have enough of my own quilts to be busy with.... but as I wanted to make the "Hey Diddle Diddle" floor quilt for my Niece who is expecting in February, I thought that I would do a test run on the "twist" block in this pattern.  It's a bit tricky working with this block and now that I've made four of them and pieced them into this little top, I will be making a few changes to the next quilt I make with this twist block.  This Pattern is from Quilt Almanac 2011,  designed by:  Karen DuMont of KariePatch Designs.  As my friend needs two quilts, I will make another one using different fabrics and see how my twist blocks turn out.   My baby size version of this quilt is much smaller than the one in the pattern.  I thought this size would be great to use as a change mat and play mat and by making it this size, it will fit into the nappy bag with no trouble!

I worked on this quilt over the weekend.......  gave myself a few days off on the Civil War quilt but will get back into it soon as I still have a couple of blocks to make to catch up.

My son returned to school today (I know, you can hear the loud screams of delight and applause from where you live!!!)... only seven weeks of school left and it's all over for me at least...  he will, of course, continue with study at Uni or College (fingers crossed!).  

This coming Wednesday my friends and I are going on a bus trip to some quilt shops on the Bayside of Brisbane....  might just have to make a new handbag to take along.....

Happy Sewing!!

3 comments :

  1. Cute quilt! 'A couple of days off the Civil War' made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unusual twist block - I've never seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that twist looks hard Helen,have a fun day shopping

    ReplyDelete